Tuesday, January 14, 2014

How it all began:

January 6th, 2014 - I posted the following conversations to my facebook status:
Recent Conversations with a Co-Worker:

Co-Worker (CW) - Did you get anything nice for Christmas?
Me - I got my camera (the new digital one I got last month) - I haven't gotten another one yet, it's planned, but we're doing a little research before we purchase. I want to make sure it's what I want, and can do what I need.
CW - OH! Me too, we're researching because there were deer close, but not terribly close and my camera that I do have wasn't picking up a clear shot - so we're going to get me one of those with interchanging lenses too.
Me - awesome. good luck! *sigh*

A Few Minutes Later:

CW - Did you see any birds over break?
Me - Just your normal backyard birds, but apparently - based on the wholes in our trees, we have a Pileated Woodpecker in our yard, I have not yet seen the bird though. It's a tree that's just beyond our tree line and the window is RIGHT behind my head, so it's only a matter of time until I do see it.
CW - OH! We have those all the time, I have video of one of them just pecking away at a tree. It once landed just behind me, when I was gardening, So I got a really close look. They're gorgeous. It was so close, but I was hunched over, so he didn't see me. I can't believe *you've* never seen one!!

Just Now:
(Why I even continue this, I'll never know)


Me - I meant to tell you, I saw a red-tailed hawk take off with a small - something - in it's talons the other day .. I was bummed I forgot my camera at home that day. I don't get to see that a lot, but I was really happy to see it this time.
CW - Oh I've seen that a thousand times, one time, I was talking with a neighbor in the yard - and mid-sentence he said: Oh! LOOK! That hawk is going to scoop up that little chippy right there! WATCH! ... I turned, and just 5 feet or so from where we were standing a red-tailed hawk swooped down, and sure enough, scooped up that little chipmunk like it was nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment